What is this "Saint for the Year" devotion all about?

This isn't superstition. St. Faustina and her religious order did the same thing!
I would like to explain to you about the practice of picking a saint at random to be your “holy protector and intercessor” for the year. Actually, the saint is the one who chooses us though. The tradition of letting a saint “pick you,”is not a new one. St. Faustina wrote about it in her diary, "Divine Mercy in My Soul".



The excerpt is below. . .

“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning, during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament,where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”
Excerpt from "Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina"
This is my eighth year in assisting people pair up with their patron saints! I truly believe that I am only a go-between between the two of you and that it is really the saint "choosing" you! Why? So many people that I have assisted have emailed me again and again telling me of the connections, intercessions and even miracles that have occurred due to their spiritual guides! I have been overwhelmed and awed by all of this and am humbled and honored to have taken on this task. I always suggest that you take time to research your saints so you get to know them better and then you will be able to recognize the connections and intercessions that you and your saint will share. The more sites that you can go to, the more you will learn. I also suggest that you treat your patron as a friend and confidante. Talk to your saint. Tell them your wants, your troubles, your fears, etc...Ask them to intercede for you. Most of all, listen to your saint ... ask them to open your eyes and mostly your heart to what they have in store for you during this yearly walk with them. They may have chosen YOU as an intercessor for THEM and for what they stand for ... in other words, maybe they want you to pray for people who are bearing certain crosses or they may want you to pray for priests or any of the number of things that they are patrons of. Perhaps they possessed a quality that they would like to see blossom in you and they are going to be there to help you do that. Or they could have lacked a certain quality that you are strong in and they will help you help others grow in that particular quality or talent. These are only suggestions on how to look at your saint. Most importantly , they will help you to grow spiritually, if you allow them to help you. All you have to do to obtain a patron saint to walk through the year with you is to make your request by emailing me at mare54n@gmail.com. No personal information is ever required. The personal information and relationship will be between you and your saint. You will be blessed and you will be changed. How so and how much is really up to you and to how much you put into this devotion. Believe me, it will be worth every minute!